WASHINGTON: US Vice President JD Vance said on Tuesday that “a lot of progress” has been made in Pakistan-mediated negotiations with Iran, adding that Washington believes Tehran really wants to make a deal.
Speaking to reporters at the White House press briefing, Vance said the Trump administration was engaging in talks “in good faith” and believed Iran was also interested in reaching an agreement.
“The president has asked us to negotiate in good faith, and that’s exactly what we’ve done,” Vance said.
He added that while diplomacy was advancing, Washington retained an “option B” of military operations if a deal could not be reached.
“But that’s not what the president wants, and I don’t think it’s what the Iranians want either,” he said.
The US vice president also said Iran’s negotiating position remained unclear, adding that internal divisions within the country were complicating the process.
“The Iranians aren’t themselves quite clear in what direction they want to go to, they also are just a fractured country,” Vance said.
He added that different officials within Iran’s leadership structure appeared to hold differing views.
“It’s not sometimes totally clear what the negotiating position of the team is,” he said.
US sees opportunity to reset ties with Iran
Vance said the United States sees an opportunity to “reset” relations with Iran after decades of tensions, but stressed that any agreement must block Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
“We have an opportunity here, I think, to reset the relationship that has existed between Iran and the United States for 47 years,” he said.
“That’s what the president has asked us to do, and that’s what we’re going to keep on working at. But it takes two to tango.”
He added: “We are not going to have a deal that allows the Iranians to have a nuclear weapon. So, as the president just told me, we’re locked and loaded. We don’t want to go down that pathway, but the president is willing and able to go down that pathway if we have to.”
Loud and clear since day 1: Iran can NEVER have a nuclear weapon. pic.twitter.com/UsD9NcE7lD
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) May 19, 2026
Trump cites progress in talks with Iran
Earlier on Tuesday, US President Donald Trump said that Gulf leaders had informed him that progress was being made in Pakistan-brokered talks aimed at securing a peace agreement between Washington and Tehran.
Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said he had postponed a planned military attack on Iran and would allow negotiations to continue for “two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week”.
Trump said several Gulf states had conveyed optimism regarding Pakistan-led diplomatic efforts to end the conflict between the United States and Iran.
The US president said he had been close to authorising military action against Iran before deciding to delay the operation.
“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters during a visit to the White House ballroom construction site.
Trump said Gulf leaders had urged him not to proceed with the planned strike because negotiations were making progress towards a peace deal.
On Monday, Trump said he had suspended a planned military strike on Iran following requests from Gulf leaders and amid “serious negotiations” with Tehran.
Speaking during a White House event, Trump said a military attack on Iran had been scheduled for Tuesday but was halted after appeals from several Gulf leaders.
“It’s a very positive development, but we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything,” Trump said during a White House event.
Earlier, in a post on Truth Social, Trump said that “serious negotiations are now taking place” and that a deal acceptable to the United States and the wider Middle East will be reached.
Trump said any potential agreement with Tehran would include a commitment that Iran would not acquire nuclear weapons. “This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!,” he stated.
Iran responds to latest US proposal
Before Trump said he called off an attack on Monday, Iran said it had sent its response to the latest US peace proposal.
On Monday, Iran said it had responded to the latest US proposal aimed at ending the conflict between the two countries as diplomatic exchanges continued through Pakistani mediation.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran had conveyed its latest response to Washington through Pakistan, which has been facilitating communication between the two countries.
“As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to the American side,” Baqaei told a weekly news briefing in Tehran.
The spokesperson added that diplomatic exchanges were “continuing through the Pakistani mediator”.
The development came as Pakistan continued diplomatic efforts to preserve the ceasefire brokered on April 8 following weeks of military confrontation involving the United States, Israel and Iran.
Baqaei defended Tehran’s key demands in the negotiations, including the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen Iranian assets abroad and compensation for war-related damages.
“The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” the spokesperson said.
US and Iranian demands
On Sunday, Iran’s semi-official Fars News Agency reported on Sunday that the US has outlined five key conditions for reaching a deal with Iran, including allowing only one Iranian nuclear facility to remain operational.
The Fars news agency report said Washington’s other demands include refusing to provide any compensation for war-related damages, requiring Iran to transfer 400 kilograms of uranium to the United States, withholding the release of even 25 percent of Tehran’s frozen assets, and linking any permanent halt to hostilities across the region to the outcome of negotiations.
In response, Iran has presented its own conditions for any agreement, including a complete end to fighting on all fronts, the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen Iranian assets, compensation for war damages, and recognition of Iran’s sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran’s Tasnim News Agency reported that Tehran had submitted a proposal through Pakistan.
According to Tasnim, Iran’s proposal focused on ending the war, building trust, lifting sanctions, releasing frozen assets and securing recognition of Iran’s sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
Iranian media also reported that Tehran sought a complete end to fighting across all fronts before any broader political settlement could be finalised.
Pakistan continues mediation efforts
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar on Monday stressed the importance of sustained engagement for regional peace.
The Deputy PM highlighted Pakistan’s constructive and facilitative role in promoting regional peace and stability, and stressed the importance of sustained engagement.
Pakistan, as mediator, has continued diplomatic engagement with both Washington and Tehran in an effort to secure a permanent settlement to the conflict through dialogue and diplomacy.
Pakistan brokered the ceasefire on April 8 after weeks of escalating hostilities involving Iran, the United States and Israel.
Three days later, Islamabad hosted direct negotiations between American and Iranian negotiators on April 11 and 12.
Although the talks ended without a final agreement, however, the Islamabad Talks paved the way for further negotiations to permanently end the conflict.
US Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation during the Islamabad talks, while the Iranian delegation was led by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.
Dar has repeatedly reaffirmed Islamabad’s commitment to “proactive diplomacy and sustained regional engagement”.
Pakistani minister visits Tehran
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian in Tehran on Sunday to discuss mediation efforts and regional security.
Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency reported that the meeting at the Presidential Palace lasted around 90 minutes and focused on bilateral ties and Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts to promote regional stability.
Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni also attended the meeting, according to IRNA.
Earlier, Naqvi held talks with Iranian Parliament Speaker Ghalibaf, with both sides discussing regional peace and stability.
Naqvi arrived in Tehran on Saturday on a diplomatic visit linked to Pakistan’s ongoing shuttle diplomacy between Washington and Tehran.



