Yemen’s Houthis Claim Red Sea Attack on Cargo Ship

Mon Jul 07 2025
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

SANAA, Yemen: Yemen’s Houthi group claimed responsibility on Monday for an attack that damaged a commercial vessel in the Red Sea and forced its crew to abandon ship, their first such strike in months.

The Yemeni group said it hit the Greek-owned, Liberian-flagged Magic Seas with missiles, drones and uncrewed boats because it had previously docked in Israel.

It was the first Houthi attack on commercial shipping on the vital maritime route this year. In May, the group agreed to a ceasefire with Washington that ended weeks of intense US strikes.

The Houthis “targeted the Magic Seas ship… using two unmanned boats, five ballistic and cruise missiles, and three drones” on Sunday, military spokesman Yahya Saree said in a video statement as reported by AFP.

Saree said the ship sustained a direct hit and was at risk of sinking. He said the company’s ships were “a legitimate target” because they had done business with Israel and used its ports.

The Houthis have been targeting Israeli territory and commercial vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden since the Gaza war broke out in October 2023, forcing shipping companies into a costly detour around southern Africa.

In response, Israel has carried out several strikes on Yemen, including a wave of attacks on Sunday that hit the port city of Hodeida and nearby areas.

Maritime monitors on Sunday said gunmen on small boats opened fire on the Magic Seas with small arms and rocket-propelled grenades.

The crew were later rescued by a passing merchant vessel, according to the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, run by the British Navy.

Hours later, the Israeli army said fighter jets “struck and destroyed infrastructure belonging to the Houthi regime”.

Among the targets, Israel said it hit the Galaxy Leader cargo ship, which the Houthis captured in November 2023.

The Houthis later launched missiles towards Israel, the Israeli army and Saree said.

The group had previously said it would continue targeting “Israeli ships” despite the US truce, AFP reported.

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp