ISLAMABAD: Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar on Thursday confirmed the six Pakistani sailors injured in the recent Houthi attack on a Tanzanian-flagged commercial ship have safely returned to the country.
In a post on X, Deputy PM Dar added that the mortal remains of the two sailors who tragically lost their lives have also been repatriated.
“All relevant stakeholders have been directed to ensure their safe, dignified and expeditious repatriation,” he said.
He appreciated the role of the country’s Consulate General in Jeddah and the embassy in Riyadh for facilitating the return and repatriation from Yemen in the absence of a diplomatic mission in the country.
The six Pakistani sailors injured in the recent Houthi attack on a Tanzanian-flagged commercial vessel have safely returned to Pakistan, while the mortal remains of the two Pakistani sailors who tragically lost their lives have also been repatriated.
All relevant stakeholders…
— Ishaq Dar (@MIshaqDar50) August 20, 2026
The Deputy Prime Minister also praised the efforts of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) in facilitating the arrival and cooperation of the Saudi Foreign Ministry regarding “medical assistance and arrangements provided in Jeddah”.
Dar reiterated Islamabad’s condemnation of the attack in the strongest terms and reiterated that the safety and security of seafarers must be ensured at all times.
“We remain committed to extending all possible assistance to the injured sailors and the bereaved families,” he said.
Pakistan strongly condemns Houthi attack on commercial ship in Red Sea
Earlier this month, Ishaq Dar strongly condemned a Houthi attack on a commercial ship in the Red Sea, saying three Pakistani nationals were killed and another was injured in the incident.
Dar said in a statement that Islamabad had learnt with “deep concern” about the attack and extended condolences to the families of the Pakistani nationals who lost their lives.
“Pakistan strongly condemns the Houthi attack on a non-combatant commercial vessel,” he said, stressing that such attacks put innocent lives at risk, violate international law and pose a serious threat to freedom of navigation, maritime security and the safety of commercial shipping in the Red Sea.
The deputy prime minister said Pakistan was in contact with the relevant Saudi authorities and the internationally recognised government of Yemen to obtain further information about the incident and establish the circumstances surrounding the attack.
Three ships came under attack in Red Sea on Aug 11
On August 11, three ships came under attack in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Oman. Yemen’s coastguard said the first strike on the Tihamah caused a fire and extensive damage to the vessel, while a second attack targeted the ship as rescue teams were attempting to evacuate its crew.
The attacks were among a series of deadly incidents involving commercial vessels in and around the Red Sea.
In July, Pakistan condemned Houthi threats against Saudi Arabia and maritime trade with the kingdom through the Red Sea, warning that it reserved the right to self-defence if its “maritime interests” were targeted in any hostile act.
Islamabad subsequently reinforced the warning, describing any attack on its maritime interests as a “red line” and stating that such an incident would be treated as an attack on Pakistan.
Following the latest attacks, Islamabad also said it was prepared to contribute to a newly established Saudi-led maritime coalition aimed at protecting commercial shipping in the Red Sea and the Bab al-Mandeb Strait.
In July, Pakistan also joined 13 countries to become part of a Saudi-led multinational maritime defense alliance, which aims to protect shipping routes through the Bab Al-Mandab Strait, the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.
The 14 founding supporters include Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.



