ISLAMABAD: Security forces killed four terrorists, including a wanted terrorist commander, during an intelligence-based operation in the Spinwam area of North Waziristan, according to security sources on Thursday.
The sources said the slain commander was identified as Umar alias Jan Mir alias Tor Saqib. They added that he was carrying a bounty of Rs3 million and described him as a key planner of attacks targeting both security personnel and civilians.
According to security sources, the commander had also set up underground bunkers, tunnels and explosive traps in the area around Bobali Mosque in Spinwam.
Recent operation in Shewa
The latest action came two days after the military’s media wing said security forces had killed 22 India-backed terrorists during a sanitisation operation in the Shewa area of North Waziristan.
The Inter-Services Public Relations had said the operation was launched on May 17 after credible intelligence reports about the presence of India-sponsored terrorists in the area. It said troops engaged the terrorists in a heavy exchange of fire and killed all 22 during the past 24 hours of operations.
Weapons and ammunition were also recovered from the dead terrorists, who, according to the ISPR, had been involved in multiple terrorist activities in the region.
The military’s media wing further said evidence collected from the site showed the terrorists had been coercing and intimidating local residents and using them as human shields.
Counterterrorism campaign
According to the source report, the army reiterated that the counterterrorism drive under the national vision Azm-e-Istehkam would continue at full pace with the aim of eliminating foreign-sponsored terrorism from the country.
The report said Pakistan has seen an increase in cross-border terrorist incidents, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan, since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021.



