BEIJING: China on Thursday urged the United States and Iran to resolve their differences through political and diplomatic means, rejecting sanctions and pressure tactics after US President Donald Trump announced an “economic warfare” campaign against Tehran.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said all parties should act responsibly and remain committed to dialogue and diplomacy, stressing that sanctions and pressure were not the solution.
“Sanctions and pressure tactics are not the solution,” Lin Jian told reporters in Beijing. “China calls on parties to act responsibly and stick to the political and diplomatic approach,” the spokesperson said.
MFA Spokesperson’s response to President Trump’s planned “Economic D-Day” against Iran:
Sanctions and pressure tactics are not the solution. China calls on parties to act responsibly and stick to the political and diplomatic approach. pic.twitter.com/kzQQXxbixI
— CHINA MFA Spokesperson 中国外交部发言人 (@MFA_China) August 20, 2026
Trump announces ‘economic D-Day’ against Iran
Earlier, Trump announced what he called the “MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY”, warning Iran and countries that continue to provide economic support to Tehran of sweeping new measures.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump accused Iran of rejecting opportunities to reach a deal with his administration and said Washington would pursue “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale”.
“No one has given the Islamic Republic of Iran a greater opportunity to make a Deal than me. TRAGICALLY, for them, they have failed to take it,” Trump said.
Also Read: Trump Announces Crushing Economic War on Iran
Trump claimed Iran’s navy had been destroyed, its air force was “destroyed”, its military factories reduced to rubble, and its currency rendered “worthless”.
The US president said the campaign was intended to cripple Iran’s ability to “project terror worldwide”, while reiterating Washington’s opposition to Tehran obtaining nuclear weapons. “IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON,” Trump declared.
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) August 19, 2026
Iran warns of ‘further defeat’ to US
Responding to Trump’s threat, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that the US President’s ‘economic D-Day’ will bring ‘further defeat’ to the US.
“The so-called “Economic D-Day” is a diversion from America’s own crisis: unprecedented debt & surging interest costs. Doubling down on failed policies will only bring further defeat—and enmity of Iranians,” Araghchi said.
The so-called “Economic D-Day” is a diversion from America's own crisis: unprecedented debt & surging interest costs.
Doubling down on failed policies will only bring further defeat—and enmity of Iranians. US economic terrorism threatens global economy and sovereignty worldwide pic.twitter.com/Qj5SzVBjvX
— Seyed Abbas Araghchi (@araghchi) August 20, 2026
Meanwhile, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Gharibadabi said the US is heading towards a new failure, which they named “economic war”.
“They claim Iran is on the brink of collapse and hanging by a thread, yet they beg all their allies to help them! The problem is the wrong calculations that, each time to cover them up, they’re forced to create a bigger failure for themselves. The military war didn’t yield results, so now they’ve named the next failure ‘economic war,” Gharibabadi said.
ادعا می کنند ایران در آستانه شکست است و به یک نخ بند است، اما به همه متحدانشان التماس می کنند که کمکشان کنند!
مشکل، محاسبات غلطی است که هر بار برای پوشاندنش، مجبور میشوند شکست بزرگتری برای خودشان بسازند.
جنگ نظامی نتیجه نداد، حالا اسم شکست بعدی را «جنگ اقتصادی» گذاشتهاند.— Gharibabadi (@Gharibabadi) August 20, 2026



