Prince Harry And Meghan To Return To UK Within Weeks

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are preparing to leave the United States by the end of August and settle in a private residence outside Londo

August 20, 2026 at 8:43 AM
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

LONDON: Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are preparing to return to the United Kingdom within weeks, British media reported on Wednesday, six years after the couple stepped down as working royals.

Harry, the youngest son of King Charles III, and Meghan “plan to leave the United States by the end of the month to settle in a private, non-royal residence, which is said to be located outside London”, The Telegraph reported.

Several UK news outlets, including the BBC, reported that the couple’s two children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, had already been enrolled in a British school for the new academic year beginning in September.

The couple are also reported to have chosen a new house, although it will not be one of the royal residences.

Harry and Meghan have lived in California since stepping down as working royals in 2020. Their children had not seen their grandfather, King Charles, since 2022.

Return After Family Rift

Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, left Britain for North America in 2020 amid a bitter dispute with the royal family, which deepened after Harry published his memoir, “Spare”.

A candid interview with US talk show host Oprah Winfrey further widened the rift.

The Press Association reported that 77-year-old Charles was informed on Sunday that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex planned to return to Britain.

The King “welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity”, PA reported, while stressing that there would be no change in Harry and Meghan’s status and that they would remain non-working royals.

Harry has previously said he did not feel safe bringing his family to Britain after losing a court battle over government-funded police protection.

“It’s impossible for me to take my family back to the UK safely,” he said last year after the ruling.

A Home Office spokesperson said Britain’s protective security system was “rigorous and proportionate”, adding that decisions were taken by a committee including the Home Office, the Metropolitan Police and the royal household.

Harry Seeks Reconciliation With Father

The reported return follows a short visit by Harry and Meghan to Britain with their children in early July, when Harry had a private meeting with his father.

Harry said last year that he wanted to reconcile with Charles, who was diagnosed with cancer two years ago and has been receiving treatment. The type of cancer has not been publicly disclosed.

It was not immediately clear whether Harry’s older brother, Prince William, and his wife, Catherine, had been informed of the couple’s plans. The two brothers have become estranged and are reportedly no longer in regular contact.

Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams described the development as “extraordinary”.

“My first thought frankly is… they failed to make it in the US… essentially they failed to be A-listers in Hollywood,” he told GB News.

Harry and Meghan signed a reported $100 million Netflix deal in 2020, although the value was never officially confirmed. Several of their projects have struggled to attract large audiences.

In August 2025, the couple signed a new arrangement with Netflix described as a “multi-year, first look deal”.

Couple To Keep California Home

The Sun reported that Harry and Meghan would retain their Montecito home in California, as well as a property in Portugal where they are believed to have spent time this summer.

Their reported return also comes amid renewed attention on the royal family’s relationship with Harry.

The couple’s departure from Britain was dubbed “Megxit” by British tabloids.

The news emerged a day after Diana’s brother, Charles Spencer, announced that he had written a book about his sister’s life.

Harry has long blamed the media for the death of his mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a Paris car crash in 1997 while being pursued by paparazzi.

“Swan Song: Diana, My Sister” will be published in Britain and other countries on September 22 and translated into 12 languages.

Spencer said he had been prompted to write the book after receiving repeated requests for interviews about Diana ahead of the 30th anniversary of her death.

“With the 30th anniversary of Diana’s tragic death on the skyline, I’ve been inundated yet again with requests for interviews about my sister,” Spencer said.

“This has convinced me to write down my own thoughts and memories, once and for all,” he said, adding that many opinions were “based on untruths that have become accepted over time”.

Spencer, 62, has remained close to both of his nephews. Harry and Meghan and their children reportedly visited his ancestral home at Althorp in central England in early July, where they were said to have visited Diana’s grave.

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp