‘Unreal Hate & Toxic Environment’: Vijay Shankar Quits Indian Cricket Blaming BCCI Rules

Your 3D cricketer' signs off after decade-long career marked by 2019 World Cup selection drama and persistent online trolling, says Shankar

May 22, 2026 at 9:15 PM
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

CHENNAI, India: In a blunt farewell that doubled as a critique of India’s cricket establishment, former World Cup all-rounder Vijay Shankar has announced his retirement from domestic cricket and the IPL, accusing the BCCI’s restrictive policies of forcing him to choose between playing at home or pursuing opportunities abroad.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Vijay Shankar (@vijay_41)

The 35-year-old, who faced what he called “unreal hate and negativity” during his international career, will now be free to participate in overseas franchise leagues—a route previously closed to him under BCCI rules that bar active Indian domestic and IPL players from featuring in foreign T20 competitions.

Retirement announcement

Shankar confirmed his decision in an Instagram post, stating he was stepping away from Indian domestic cricket and the IPL “to pursue new opportunities and play more cricket.”

He added that he had chosen to “ignore and move forward” from the criticism he endured. He signed off the post as “Your 3D cricketer”, a pointed reference to the phrase that became attached to him following his controversial 2019 World Cup selection.

A brief international career

Shankar played 21 white-ball matches for India between 2018 and 2019, featuring in 12 ODIs and nine T20Is. He scored 223 runs in ODIs at an average of 31.85 and 101 runs in T20Is at 25.25, while also offering a useful seam-bowling option.

The 2019 World Cup controversy

His selection for the 2019 World Cup came after India’s long search for stability at No. 4. Ambati Rayudu had been a leading contender, but a difficult home series against Australia weakened his case. Shankar, meanwhile, seized his chances, scoring 120 runs in four innings against Australia with a strike rate of 112.14, while also providing an additional bowling option.

Then chief selector MSK Prasad famously said Shankar brought “three dimensions” to the side. Rayudu, who missed out, responded with a now-famous jibe: “Just ordered a new set of 3D glasses to watch the World Cup.”

Shankar played three matches in the tournament before a broken toe ruled him out. His most memorable moment came against Pakistan at Old Trafford, where he dismissed Imam-ul-Haq with his first ball in World Cup cricket.

Domestic legacy

At the domestic level, Shankar spent most of his career with Tamil Nadu, captaining them to titles in the Vijay Hazare Trophy, Deodhar Trophy, and Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. He later moved to Tripura ahead of the 2025-26 season.

He ended his domestic career with an unbeaten 151 against Gujarat in the Ranji Trophy in February, winning the Player of the Match award.

Shankar finished with 4,253 first-class runs at 46.73, 2,790 List A runs at 34.87, and 2,583 T20 runs at a strike rate of 128.37. He also took 154 wickets across all formats.

IPL journey and retirement

In the IPL, Shankar played 78 matches between 2014 and 2025, representing Chennai Super Kings, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Delhi Capitals, and Gujarat Titans. He went unsold at the most recent auction after registering as an uncapped player, with more than five years having passed since his last international appearance.

With his retirement now confirmed, Shankar is expected to attract interest from T20 leagues around the world, including Australia’s Big Bash League, England’s The Hundred, and the UAE’s ILT20, opportunities that were previously off-limits under BCCI regulations.

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp