WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Sunday said that relations between the United States and Iran were becoming “more professional and productive” as Washington and Tehran are set to announce a Pakistan-mediated deal in next few hours to end the Middle East conflict.
In a statement posted on his Truth Social platform, Trump criticised the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, calling it “one of the worst deals ever made” and blaming the Obama administration for what he described as a “direct path” for Iran to develop a nuclear weapon.
The US President said current negotiations under his administration were proceeding in an “orderly and constructive manner” and stressed there was no rush to reach a final agreement.
“I have informed my representatives not to rush into a deal in that time is on our side,” he wrote, adding that any agreement must be properly certified and signed.
Trump reiterated that Iran must not develop or acquire a nuclear weapon, while noting that US relations with Tehran were improving in tone.
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) May 24, 2026
US-Iran deal likely in next few hours
The United States and Iran could strike a deal as early as Sunday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Sunday as Washington and Tehran appeared close to reaching a Pakistan-mediated agreement to end months of Middle East conflict.
Rubio said Washington and Tehran were nearing an agreement following weeks of indirect negotiations facilitated by Pakistan after an April 8 ceasefire brokered by Islamabad.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Rubio told reporters during a visit to India.
Rubio’s remarks came after US President Donald Trump said a major agreement involving Iran and several regional countries had been “largely negotiated”, with final discussions currently under way before a formal announcement.
In a statement posted on his Truth Social platform, Trump said he held a high-level telephone conversation from the Oval Office with a number of Middle Eastern and regional leaders to discuss Iran and a broader memorandum of understanding aimed at promoting peace and stability in the region.
Trump said that held talks with Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman, UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, Jordan’s King Abdullah II and Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
The US President said the discussions focused on Iran and a wider regional peace framework involving multiple countries.
“An agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalisation between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other countries,” he stated.
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) May 23, 2026
Pakistan ready to host next round of US-Iran talks
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has reaffirmed Pakistan’s commitment to ongoing regional peace efforts following a high-level telephone conversation led by President Trump with several leaders from the Middle East and South Asia.
PM Sharif expressed hope that Pakistan would host the next round of Iran-US talks “very soon” as he praised President Donald Trump for his peace efforts and ongoing diplomatic engagement.
In a statement shared on X, Prime Minister Sharif described the discussions as “very useful and productive”, saying they provided an important platform for consultations on the evolving regional situation and possible pathways towards long-term stability.
I congratulate President Donald Trump on his extraordinary efforts to pursue peace and for holding a very useful and productive telephone call earlier today, with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkiye, Egypt, the UAE, Jordan and Pakistan. Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir…
— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) May 24, 2026
Prime Minister Sharif noted that Pakistan was represented during the discussions by Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, whose role he praised for contributing to the wider diplomatic process.
The prime minister’s remarks came shortly after Trump stated that a broad understanding with Iran had largely been negotiated, while final details were still under discussion.
Pakistan’s mediation efforts
Pakistan is playing a crucial mediator role in the talks between Washington and Tehran.
US leaders have repeatedly acknowledged Islamabad’s involvement in facilitating negotiations between Washington and Tehran.
Pakistan’s Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir concluded a “highly productive” visit to Tehran on Saturday after holding high-level meetings with Iranian leaders as part of ongoing mediation efforts, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement.
During the visit, the Field Marshal held high-level engagements with Iranian leadership as part of Pakistan’s ongoing mediation efforts aimed at promoting de-escalation and constructive engagement, amidst the regional tensions that have simmered after the ceasefire on 8th April, 2026, ISPR said in a statement.
Field Marshal Munir held meeting with Iranian President Dr. Masoud Pezeshkian, Speaker of the Iranian Parliament Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, and Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni, ISPR said.
The discussions remained focused upon expediting the consultative process underway to support peace and stability in the region and to reach to a conclusive agreement.
The engagements were held in a positive and constructive environment and contributed meaningfully towards the mediation process, ISPR said. The intensive negotiations over the last twenty four hours have resulted in encouraging progress towards a final understanding.
The Iranian leadership appreciated Pakistan’s sincere and constructive role in facilitating dialogue and promoting peaceful settlement of regional issues.



