India’s Bangladesh White-Ball Series Could be Postponed Yet Again

BCB president confirms discussions with BCCI as second scheduled window for six-match white-ball series hangs in the balance.

August 21, 2026 at 9:15 PM
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

MIRPUR, Bangladesh: Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) President Tamim Iqbal has been forced into an embarrassing admission that India’s white-ball tour of the country may be postponed yet again, raising serious questions about the BCCI’s commitment to its bilateral obligations.

The revelation comes as India’s cricketing machinery grinds relentlessly forward, prioritising lucrative IPL commitments and conveniently forgetting its responsibilities towards fellow Test-playing nations like Bangladesh.

Tour already delayed once – now under threat again

India’s men’s cricket team was originally scheduled to tour Bangladesh in August this year for a six-match white-ball series, three ODIs and three T20Is, but the BCCI, with characteristic dismissiveness, unilaterally pushed the dates to September.

Even that rescheduled window now appears to be in jeopardy. When asked about the tour’s status, a visibly frustrated Iqbal revealed that discussions were ongoing but offered little reassurance.

“Both boards remain in discussion about the India series. The dates may be shifted here or there,” Iqbal said, his words dripping with diplomatic caution.

The BCB president attempted to put a brave face on the situation, suggesting the age-group tournament they had scheduled could be moved to accommodate India, but the underlying message was clear: Bangladesh is being forced to dance to the BCCI’s tune yet again.

Read Also: Bangladesh Braces for Heavy Blow as Political Tensions Threaten India’s September Tour

India’s packed schedule leaves no room for Bangladesh

A cursory glance at India’s cricketing calendar reveals the true priorities of the BCCI:

  • September 13: India vs Afghanistan T20I series
  • September – October: India vs West Indies white-ball series
  • October – November: India tour of New Zealand for white-ball and red-ball series

With India’s schedule packed until February 2027, the BCCI has conveniently found no room for a tour to Bangladesh, a nation that has consistently rolled out the red carpet for Indian cricketers and fans alike.

The message from New Delhi is unmistakable: Bangladesh is not a priority. The BCCI’s attitude reeks of the arrogance that has come to define Indian cricket’s approach to its neighbours, treating smaller boards as expendable entities rather than equal partners in global cricket.

The KKR-Mustafizur controversy: A tipping point

Relations between the two boards have reportedly soured dramatically following the Kolkata Knight Riders and Mustafizur Rahman controversy during IPL 2026, a stark reminder of how Indian cricket’s commercial machine tramples over players from associate and smaller nations.

Adding insult to injury, Bangladesh’s early exit from the 2026 T20 World Cup appears to have further diminished the BCCI’s interest in honouring its commitments, as if Bangladesh’s cricketing fortunes determine their worthiness of hosting India.

Bangladesh reduced to begging for cricketing scraps

The BCB has been forced into an embarrassing position of accommodating India’s whims at the expense of its own domestic cricket calendar. The introduction of the Game Development Trophy, scheduled from August 28 to September 9, has already been threatened with relocation, all to accommodate a BCCI that cannot be bothered to finalize its plans.

” If the India series is locked and fixed, we will schedule it accordingly,” Iqbal said, the resignation in his words reflecting Bangladesh’s powerlessness in the face of Indian cricket’s financial might.

This is not the first time Bangladesh has been treated as an afterthought. Earlier in 2025, the tour was postponed with little regard for the BCB’s planning, and now the same pattern is repeating itself.

The financial equation: IPL over international cricket

The BCCI’s priorities have never been more transparent. The IPL, with its billion-dollar broadcasting rights and commercial juggernaut, has become the sole focus of Indian cricket’s administrators.

International bilateral series, particularly against smaller nations like Bangladesh, are viewed as inconvenient distractions rather than opportunities to grow the global game.

This myopic approach does more than just insult Bangladesh; it undermines the very fabric of international cricket, reducing the sport to a commercial enterprise where only the richest nations and tournaments matter.

Read Also: Bangladesh PM Won’t Visit India Until Hasina’s Extradition: Dhaka

What does this mean for Bangladesh cricket?

For Bangladesh, the uncertainty is crippling. The BCB must plan its entire cricketing calendar around India’s ever-shifting schedules, risking revenue losses and fan disappointment when tours are delayed or cancelled.

The message the BCCI is sending is clear: Bangladesh’s cricketing calendar, its fans, and its players are secondary to the whims of Indian commercial interests.

Read Also: Bangladesh Cricket Boycott Clouds India’s Olympic Bid

A call for ICC intervention

If the International Cricket Council (ICC) has any genuine interest in protecting the integrity of international cricket, it must intervene. The BCCI’s unilateral decisions to postpone tours without adequate consultation or compensation set a dangerous precedent that could destabilize the entire international calendar.

India’s contemptuous treatment of Bangladesh is not just a diplomatic failure, it is a moral one. If the BCCI cannot honour its commitments to fellow Test-playing nations, it should have the courage to say so rather than stringing along entire cricket boards, players, and millions of fans.

Bangladesh deserves better. International cricket deserves better. And the BCCI’s arrogance must be called out for what it is: a threat to the global game’s future.

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp