430 Gaza Flotilla Activists Transferred to Israel

Organisers accuse Israeli forces of intercepting aid vessels in international waters as activists attempting to break the Gaza blockade are transferred to Israel.

May 20, 2026 at 8:50 AM
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

JERUSALEM/ISTANBUL: Israeli authorities said late on Tuesday that 430 activists aboard a Gaza-bound aid flotilla were being transported to Israel after their vessels were intercepted at sea a day earlier.

“Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives,” a spokesman for Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

The interceptions took place after Israeli forces boarded several vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF), an international activist coalition attempting to sail humanitarian aid to the besieged Gaza Strip.

Organisers said Israeli naval personnel intercepted multiple boats in international waters west of Cyprus while the convoy was en route to Gaza.

“Global Sumud Flotilla is under attack!” the group wrote on social media platform X.

The flotilla accused Israeli forces of having “illegally and violently intercepted our international fleet of humanitarian vessels and abducted our volunteers”, describing the operation as a violation of international maritime law.

The group demanded the immediate release of all detained activists and called for an end to Israel’s blockade of Gaza.

Video footage released by organisers showed activists filming as Israeli naval vessels approached and boarded several boats at sea.

According to the GSF, the flotilla was sailing in international waters within Cyprus’s search and rescue zone at the time of the interceptions.

Bader al-Noaimi, co-leader of the flotilla’s legal team, said organisers had issued repeated distress calls during the operation.

“We have been making distress calls since the start of the attack against the flotilla,” al-Noaimi said, adding that the calls began at approximately 07:20 GMT.

He described the convoy as a “peaceful humanitarian mission” and accused Israel of carrying out a military operation against civilian vessels.

About an hour before the reported interceptions, Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs publicly warned the flotilla to reverse course.

“Change course and turn back immediately,” the ministry said in a statement posted on X.

Israeli authorities have repeatedly stated that they will not allow attempts to breach the naval blockade imposed on Gaza since 2007.

Rights organisations and humanitarian groups have long criticised the restrictions, describing them as collective punishment against Gaza’s civilian population.

The Turkish branch of the flotilla campaign said one of its vessels, the Munki, came under “attack” and “close harassment” by Israeli naval boats.

“We have currently lost contact with the vessel,” Global Sumud Turkiye said on X.

Organisers said Israeli forces intercepted at least 16 vessels on Monday, adding that approximately 24 Turkish nationals were among those aboard the detained boats.

The flotilla campaign said more than 50 vessels departed from the Turkish port of Marmaris last week as part of the mission aimed at challenging the blockade of Gaza.

More than 460 activists from 45 countries were participating in the convoy.

Organisers said the vessels were carrying humanitarian supplies including food, baby formula and medical aid intended for civilians in Gaza.

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp