BEIJING: Chinese authorities said on Thursday that 44 people were killed and nine remain missing after heavy rains swept across the capital, Beijing, since last week, bringing severe flooding and widespread damage.
“As of midday on July 31, some 44 people have died and nine are still missing as a result of the disasters across the whole of Beijing,” deputy mayor of Beijing Xia Linmao told a news conference.
“Between July 23 and 29, Beijing suffered extreme rainfall,” he said, adding they had caused “significant casualties and (other) losses”.
Out of those deaths, 31 took place at an “elderly care centre” in the town of Taishitun in the northeast of the city, Xia said.
Those still missing are local officials working on search and rescue, he added.
“On behalf of the municipal party committee and the city government, I would like to express deep mourning for those who have regrettably lost their lives, and profound condolences to their relatives,” he said.
Swathes of northern China have endured deadly rains and floods since last week that forced the evacuation of tens of thousands.
Beijing experienced extreme downpours through Tuesday, which led to flooding in the northern mountainous districts of Miyun, Huairou, Pinggu, and Yanqing, said Xia.
The disaster has impacted over 300,000 residents and damaged 24,000 houses, according to official figures. Rescue operations are underway across the hardest-hit regions.