Trump Urges Iran, Israel to ‘Proceed to Peace’ After Missile Strikes on US Base in Qatar

The US President claims Iran gave 'early notice' of missile strikes on US military base

Tue Jun 24 2025
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Monday expressed hope that Iran and Israel could “now proceed to Peace and Harmony in the region” after Iran launched missile strikes at a US military base in Qatar in retaliation for American attacks on three Iranian nuclear facilities.

Hours after Iran launched multiple missiles at the Al Udeid US military base in Qatar, Trump took to his Truth Social platform and dismissed Tehran’s retaliatory strikes as “very weak,” while welcoming “early notice” given by Tehran.

“Iran has officially responded to our Obliteration of their Nuclear Facilities with a very weak response, which we expected, and have very effectively countered,” Trump posted on Truth Social.

“I want to thank Iran for giving us early notice, which made it possible for no lives to be lost, and nobody to be injured,” he added.

“There have been 14 missiles fired — 13 were knocked down, and 1 was ‘set free,’ because it was headed in a nonthreatening direction. I am pleased to report that NO Americans were harmed, and hardly any damage was done.”

“Perhaps Iran can now proceed to Peace and Harmony in the Region, and I will enthusiastically encourage Israel to do the same,” the US president stated.

In another post, Trump said, “Congratulations world, it’s time for peace.”

In a separate post, Trump wrote, “I’d like to thank the Highly Respected Emir of Qatar for all that he has done in seeking Peace for the Region.”

Iran attacks US base in Qatar

Earlier, Iran announced it had launched missiles at a US base in Qatar Monday in retaliation for American strikes on key nuclear facilities. A US defence official said no one was hurt in the attack.

Qatar, which lies 190 kilometres (120 miles) south of Iran and is home to the largest US military facility in the Middle East, said its “air defences successfully intercepted a missile attack targeting Al Udeid Air Base”.

Iran’s National Security Council confirmed having targeted the base “in response to the US aggressive and insolent action against Iran’s nuclear sites and facilities”.

In its statement, the council said the number of missiles used “was the same as the number of bombs that the US had used”, in a signal that it had calibrated its response to be directly proportional.

After more than a week of Israeli strikes on nuclear and military targets across Iran, the United States joined its ally’s campaign on Sunday, carrying out attacks on three key Iranian nuclear facilities, including on an underground uranium enrichment facility at Fordo using massive bunker-busting bombs.

With international concern mounting that Israel’s campaign in Iran could lead to a regional spillover — concern that only intensified after the US strikes — French President Emmanuel Macron said after the Iranian retaliation that “the spiral of chaos must end”.

‘Right to respond’

Iran’s security council maintained that its “action does not pose any threat to our friendly and brotherly country, Qatar”.

But Qatari foreign ministry spokesman Majed Al-Ansari said his country “reserves the right to respond directly in a manner proportional to the nature and scale of this blatant aggression”.

Saudi Arabia condemned Tehran’s attack and offered “all its capabilities to support the brotherly State of Qatar in any measures it takes”.

The US defence official said Al Udeid was “attacked by short-range and medium-range ballistic missiles”, and Ansari said it had been evacuated as a precaution ahead of time.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps said six missiles had hit the base, according to state media.

Earlier in the day, Qatar had announced the temporary closure of its airspace in light of “developments in the region”, while foreign embassies there including that of the United States had warned their citizens to shelter in place.

After the attack, Qatar said, “the security situation in the country is stable, and there is no cause for concern”.

Tehran strikes

Just as Iran was announcing the new attacks, blasts were heard in the north of Tehran, AFP reported.

Earlier in the day Israel reported carrying out what it said were its most powerful strikes yet on Tehran. Iran, in turn, fired missile barrages at Israel.

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said the military hit sites in Tehran including Evin prison, as well as command centres for the domestic Basij paramilitary and the Revolutionary Guards.

Iranian media and the Israeli military said Israel also struck Fordo on Monday.

Israeli strikes on Iran have killed more than 400 people, Iran’s health ministry has said. Iran’s attacks on Israel have killed 24 people, according to official figures.

China urged both Iran and Israel to prevent the conflict from spilling over, warning of potential economic fallout.

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp