Over 80 Film Figures Slam Berlin Festival Over Gaza ‘Silence’

Wed Feb 18 2026
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

BERLIN: More than 80 figures from the film world, including Oscar winners Javier Bardem and Tilda Swinton, have criticized the Berlin International Film Festival over what they describe as its “silence” on Gaza.

In an open letter, the signatories said they were “appalled” by the festival’s “institutional silence” and accused it of being involved in “censoring artists who oppose Israel’s ongoing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza.”

The letter follows comments by jury president Wim Wenders, who said filmmakers “cannot really enter the field of politics” when asked about Gaza.

Responding to questions about Germany’s support for Israel at a press conference, Wenders said filmmakers “have to stay out of politics.”

Fellow jury member Ewa Puszczynska added that it was “a little bit unfair” to expect the jury to adopt a clear political stance.

Signatories, including Mike Leigh and Adam McKay, said they “fervently disagree,” arguing that filmmaking and politics are inseparable.

They called on the Berlinale to oppose what they termed “Israel’s genocide” and criticized what they described as “the German state’s key role in enabling” Israel’s actions.

“Just as the festival has made clear statements in the past about atrocities carried out against people in Iran and Ukraine, we call on the Berlinale to fulfil its moral duty and clearly state its opposition to Israel’s genocide,” the letter states.

The controversy has deepened existing tensions around the festival. Author Arundhati Roy withdrew from a scheduled appearance following backlash over Wenders’s remarks.

Festival director Tricia Tuttle later defended him, saying artists are free to express their opinions but should not be required to comment on every political issue.

The festival had already faced criticism in 2024 after awarding “No Other Land,” a documentary focusing on Palestinian displacement, drawing objections from German officials who described the filmmakers’ comments on Gaza as one-sided.

Israel launched its war in Gaza on Oct. 8, 2023, with US support.

The conflict lasted two years, killing more than 72,000 Palestinians and wounding over 171,000, according to local health authorities, with widespread destruction to civilian infrastructure.

A ceasefire agreement took effect on October 10, 2025, formally ending large-scale fighting.

However, Palestinian officials say Israeli airstrikes and demolition operations have continued in parts of Gaza, accusing Israel of breaching the truce.

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp