Israel Kills 51 in Gaza as War Death Toll Soars to 63,025

UN warns Gaza City offensive could forcibly displace 1M refugees

Fri Aug 29 2025
icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp

GAZA CITY, Palestine: At least 51 Palestinians, including seven aid seekers, were killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza over the past 24 hours, the territory’s health ministry said on Friday, as the famine crisis deepens amid stalled truce efforts.

Among the victims were at least seven killed while seeking aid near the so-called Netzarim Corridor in central Gaza.

Israel’s war on Gaza kills over 63,000 Palestinians

Since October 2023, at least 63,025 Palestinians have been killed in Israel’s ongoing war on Gaza, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry, as five more individuals died of starvation in the besieged enclave.

In a recent statement, the ministry reported that 59 bodies were brought to hospitals in the past 24 hours, along with 224 people injured, raising the total number of wounded to 159,490 since the start of the Israeli offensive.

The ministry further stated that seven Palestinians were shot and killed, and more than 182 injured by Israeli forces while attempting to receive humanitarian aid within the last 24 hours. This brings the total number of aid-seekers killed since May 27 to 2,203, with over 16,228 wounded.

Additionally, five more deaths due to malnutrition and starvation were recorded in the past 24 hours, increasing the famine-related death toll to 322 since October—among them, 121 children.

Gaza City offensive could forcibly displace 1M refugees: UNRWA

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) has warned that the Israeli military’s renewed offensive on Gaza City could lead to the forced displacement of up to 1 million Palestinians.

In a statement posted on the social media platform X, the agency highlighted that famine had already been confirmed in the area last week. It cautioned that “any further escalation would worsen the suffering and drive even more people toward catastrophe.”

Critical medical supplies run out in Gaza: WHO

The World Health Organization (WHO) has reported a critical shortage of medical supplies in Gaza, hindering its ability to treat a growing number of cases of a rare, paralysis-inducing condition.

Since June, 94 cases of Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) have been documented in the enclave, resulting in 10 deaths. The WHO noted that GBS was rarely seen in Gaza before the war, which began nearly two years ago.

Guillain-Barré Syndrome is a rare neurological disorder in which the immune system attacks the peripheral nerves. In severe cases, it can cause near-total paralysis and severe respiratory complications. According to the WHO, the recent fatalities include four children under the age of 15 and six adults, with an average age of 25.

US revokes visas of PA, PLO officials ahead of UN General Assembly

The Trump administration has revoked visas for Palestinian Authority and Palestine Liberation Organization officials ahead of the high-level meetings at UN headquarters in New York next month.

The State Department criticised the PA for carrying out what it dubbed “lawfare campaigns”, including appeals to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) and the International Criminal Court (ICC), and calls for countries to recognise a Palestinian state.

Those steps “materially contributed to Hamas’s refusal to release its hostages, and to the breakdown of the Gaza ceasefire talks”, the department said in a statement, which did not specify which officials had their visas revoked.

Washington has repeatedly hit out at the ICJ and ICC for the courts’ recent decisions related to Israel, with the Trump administration levying a series of sanctions against ICC judges and prosecutors in recent months.

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-whatsapp