Key points
- Injuries to Cummins, Hazlewood hurt side
- Defeats to Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka costly
- Maxwell’s T20 future in doubt
ISLAMABAD: Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting has blamed his country’s disappointing T20 World Cup campaign on a mix of poor performances and ongoing fitness concerns, while also hinting that all-rounder Glenn Maxwell may have played his last major global tournament.
Australia were knocked out of the competition before completing their group-stage matches, with a final fixture against Oman still to come on Friday. Their exit followed heavy defeats at the hands of Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka
Although Australia had enjoyed success in bilateral cricket throughout much of 2025, they arrived at the World Cup after suffering five straight losses to India and Pakistan, with injuries further disrupting their preparations.
Key fast bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood were ruled out before the tournament and did not travel to Sri Lanka, leaving the bowling attack significantly weakened. Mitchell Starc had also stepped away from the format last year.
Power-hitter Tim David was eased into the competition due to a hamstring issue, having not played any cricket since Boxing Day until the match against Zimbabwe.
Maxwell’s form
There were also question marks over Maxwell’s form, the performances of young batter Cooper Connolly, and increasing attention on Cameron Green.
“It’s been a really poor campaign, it has to be said,” Ponting told the ICC Review.
“They had injury concerns at the start with Hazlewood and Cummins being ruled out, and then Tim David not available at the beginning as well. But losing to Zimbabwe the way they did — that’s the game they’ll look back on and think that’s where their World Cup was lost.”
Ponting felt this Australian squad lacked the intimidating presence normally associated with them at ICC tournaments.
“You look at that Australian team on paper, and it doesn’t seem to have that aura other Australian teams have had going into ICC events and World Cups. You need your best and most experienced players to stand up and win big moments in these tournaments, and Australia haven’t had that.”
He also highlighted problems in the batting line-up. “They probably didn’t get enough from their top order with Cameron Green at No. 3 and Tim David at No. 4 in the last couple of games. They got off to a great start against Sri Lanka but then lost six wickets for 20 runs, completely losing momentum in the second half of the innings.”
Sweeping changes
Looking towards the next two-year cycle leading up to 2028 — including the Olympics and the next T20 World Cup co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand — Ponting did not call for sweeping changes.
However, he suggested Maxwell’s time in international T20 cricket could be coming to an end.
“I don’t think Glenn Maxwell will be there,” Ponting said. “It looks to me like his career is coming towards an end.”
Ponting also noted that Marcus Stoinis may face uncertainty, although his all-round ability and continued involvement in leagues such as the Big Bash could keep him in the frame.
Regarding Steve Smith, who was recalled after Mitchell Marsh’s injury and later added as Hazlewood’s replacement, Ponting said his future remains unclear despite Smith’s desire to feature in Australia’s Olympic plans.
“Steve Smith has been very vocal about wanting to be part of an Olympic team. Whether that happens is a different story,” Ponting concluded.



