ISLAMABAD: Pakistani security officials have linked Saturday’s suicide bombing targeting a Pakistan Army convoy in Bannu district of north-western Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province to the Afghanistan-based terror group Hafiz Gul Bahadur.
The attack, carried out on 21 February 2026, was claimed by Ittehad-ul-Mujahideen, a sub-group of the Fitna al-Khawarij network, which is affiliated with Gul Bahadur.
Fitna al Khwarij is a term used by the state for terrorists belonging to the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) terrorist group.
Security officials said the terror group’s leadership, including Gul Bahadur and key commanders, is taking refuge in Afghanistan while orchestrating terrorist activities and sectarian unrest in Pakistan.
Attacks planned from Afghanistan
Security sources highlighted that the same terrorist group was responsible for a March 2025 attack on Bannu Cantonment during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan last year, which was also planned from Afghan soil.
On 2 September 2025, Major Adnan was martyred during another attack by Fitna al-Khawarij on the Federal Constabulary in Bannu.
The terror group has also claimed responsibility for multiple attacks in Mir Ali, as well as the North and South Waziristan districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Investigations indicated that the planning and facilitation of these terror attacks were conducted from Afghanistan, officials said.
Security sources estimated that over 70 percent of terrorists involved in terrorist attacks in Pakistan are either Afghan nationals or linked to networks based in Afghanistan.
Suicide attack on Pakistan Army convoy
The Pakistan military said in a statement that a lieutenant colonel and a sepoy were martyred in the Bannu attack, which targeted a security forces convoy during an intelligence-based operation (IBO).
The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said the convoy was attacked by “Indian proxy Fitna al-Khawarij” terrorists, including a suicide bomber. Five terrorists were killed during the security operation.
The ISPR said a vehicle-borne suicide bomber was intercepted by the leading security team, preventing a potential “major catastrophe” in Bannu city.
However, the attackers rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into one of the leading convoy vehicles.
The martyrs were 43-year-old Lieutenant Colonel Shahzada Gul Faraz from Mansehra and 28-year-old Sepoy Karamat Shah from Peshawar.
The ISPR described Lt Col Faraz as a “brave commanding officer” who was leading his troops from the front.
Afghan-based group claims responsibility
Security sources said Ittehad-ul-Mujahideen, a sub-group of Fitna al-Khawarij, claimed responsibility for the attack.
They reiterated that the group is affiliated with Hafiz Gul Bahadur, based in Afghanistan, and that the suicide attack in Bannu was planned from Afghan territory.
The sources noted that previous attacks, including those in Bannu Cantonment in March 2025 and against the Federal Constabulary in September 2025, were also facilitated from Afghanistan.
They said the terror group’s operations continue to undermine Pakistan’s security and stability.
Use of Afghan soil for terrorism
The ISPR emphasised that terrorists were using Afghan soil to launch attacks inside Pakistan, violating the sanctity of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The Afghan Taliban regime has failed to prevent terrorists from using Afghan territory for attacks on Pakistan, security sources said.
“Pakistan will not exercise any restraint and operations will continue against the perpetrators of this heinous and cowardly act… irrespective of their location,” the ISPR said.
Security sources claimed that Afghan Taliban patronage provides safe havens for terrorist networks, which continues to undermine regional peace.
Surge in terror attacks
Pakistan has seen a rise in terror attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan, after the Afghan Taliban regained power in Afghanistan in 2021.
Bannu district has witnessed repeated attacks on security forces and civilians in recent months.
Earlier this week, Pakistan lodged a formal diplomatic protest with the Taliban regime over the use of Afghan soil in a deadly attack in Bajaur district that martyred 11 soldiers.
Earlier, in late December, Islamabad lodged a strong protest following a deadly assault on a military camp in North Waziristan.
Pakistan has repeatedly urged Kabul to act against terrorists operating from Afghan territory.
Security sources warned that continued Afghan-based support for terrorist groups jeopardises regional security and stability.



