KEY POINTS
- Iran says it will present a draft nuclear proposal to the US within two days.
- Trump warned Iran has 10–15 days to reach a “meaningful deal” or face “bad things”.
- US forces are being positioned in the region, including two carrier strike groups.
- Pentagon has not authorised action but says military readiness could come within days.
- Iran warned US bases in the region would be “legitimate targets” if attacked.
- Russia warns US strikes could trigger serious consequences and wider conflict.
TEHRAN, Iran: Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran would be ready to present a draft nuclear proposal to the United States within the next few days, after US President Donald Trump warned that military action could follow if talks fail.
“The next step for me is to present draft of possible deal to my counterparts in the US,” Araghchi said in an interview with MSNBC’s Morning Joe programme published online on Friday.
“I believe that in the next two, three days, that would be ready, and after final confirmation by my superiors, that would be handed over to Steve Witkoff.”
Araghchi rejected suggestions that Washington had issued an ultimatum.
“There is no ultimatum. We only talk with each other how we can have a fast deal. And a fast deal is something that both sides are interested about,” he said.
Trump said on Thursday that Iran had at most 10 to 15 days to reach what he called a “meaningful deal” addressing concerns over its nuclear programme, or face consequences. “Otherwise, bad things happen,” he said.
US military buildup around Iran
US officials and media reports citing defence sources said American forces could be prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend, although Trump has not made a final decision.
CNN and CBS News reported that US forces were being positioned for possible action.
The Wall Street Journal said Trump had been briefed on a range of military options designed to “maximise damage”, including targeted strikes on Iranian political and military leadership.
The deployment includes the USS Gerald R. Ford and USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike groups, advanced fighter jets and support aircraft.
US officials said the “full forces” required for potential action were expected to be in place by mid-March.
The Pentagon has not formally authorised an attack, but national security officials have told the president that the military could be ready within days.
Diplomatic efforts
Indirect US-Iran talks, mediated by Oman and held in Geneva this week, have so far failed to bridge differences over uranium enrichment and Iran’s ballistic missile programme.
A senior US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Iran had agreed to draw up a written proposal to address American concerns raised during the latest round of talks.
Iran insists its nuclear activities are peaceful and within its rights under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
Washington argues that Tehran’s enrichment levels exceed civilian needs.
Araghchi said Tehran wanted a swift agreement but within a framework that respected its rights.
Iranian warnings and drills
Iran has warned that all US bases and assets in the region would be considered “legitimate targets” if Washington launches an attack.
In a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and the president of the UN Security Council, Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations, Amir Saeid Iravani, said Tehran did not seek war but would respond “decisively and proportionately” to any aggression.
“In such circumstances, all bases, facilities, and assets of the hostile force in the region would constitute legitimate targets,” he wrote.
Earlier this week, Iran conducted live-fire exercises in the Strait of Hormuz, through which about a fifth of the world’s traded oil passes.
Tehran also held annual naval drills with Russia in the Gulf of Oman and the Indian Ocean, according to state news agency IRNA.
Footage showed Revolutionary Guard naval forces boarding a vessel during the exercise. Iran also issued rocket-launch warnings to pilots operating in the area.
Russia warns against US attack on Iran
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned that any new US strike on Iran would have “serious consequences” and risk triggering a nuclear incident, particularly if facilities monitored by the International Atomic Energy Agency were hit.
“Everyone understands this is playing with fire,” Lavrov said in an interview with Al-Arabiya, urging restraint and diplomacy.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel was prepared for any scenario.
“If Iran attacks Israel, they will experience a response they cannot even imagine,” he said, adding that any deal must curb Iran’s missile programme and its support for armed groups.
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk urged Polish citizens to leave Iran immediately, warning that evacuation could soon become impossible.
Germany said it had relocated a mid-two-digit number of non-essential personnel from a base in northern Iraq as a precaution.
Analysts say even limited US strikes could escalate quickly into a broader regional conflict involving Iran’s military, with potential repercussions for global oil markets and regional stability.



